Re: Foreign Key Question

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Foreign Key Question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:59:12 +0100,
  Tuan Luu <tuanluu@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Example:
>
> Table 1:
> Inventory, Productnr, Productserial
> (PK Inventory, Prouctnr)
>
> Table 2:
> Pruductnr, Produktdesc, Productversion
> (PK Productnr; FK Productnr)
>
> This Construct gives me an error during the creation in Postgresql
> (saying there is no unique constraint matching given keys for referenced
> table xxxx). The Primary Key in table 1 consists of two columns. In the
> second table there is a foreign key refencing to the first table.
>
> A unique constraint doesn't make sense on table one. Am I missing
> something here?

Having typos in what you show us doesn't help.

Inventory, Productnr being unique does not imply Productnr is unique.
If Productnr in table 1 is unique, you should make a unique constraint
on it. If it isn't unique you can't use a foreign key reference and you
will need to write your own trigger functions to do whatever makes sense
for your problem.