Re: ps output and postgres

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: ps output and postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Eric Ridge wrote:
> I like how postgres backends modify the 'command' display in a (unix)
> process listing to show what database they are connected to, and the
> query being executed.
>
> Has any thought been put into being able to make this configurable per
> backend connection (maybe via a SET variable)?  I'm thinking it would
> be cool if a user process could provide its own status there,
> identifying application-specific information.  Similar to how Java
> let's you set the "name" of a Thread (which sadly doesn't appear in a
> process listing, but oh well).
>
> I realize this could open up some security concerns by allowing us to
> expose more information than we should, but for those of us that want
> to shoot ourselves in the foot, it might be a useful feature.

No one really has thought of that before.  We could do it, though there
are admin reasons for restricting that ability.  If we said only
superusers could change it, it wouldn't be very useful.  It would be
cool if SET could change it, but it seems that would make it pretty
useless for administrator usage.