Re: 7.4 -> 7.4.1 upgrade with customization on freebsd

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: 7.4 -> 7.4.1 upgrade with customization on freebsd
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004
> bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > 1) having now done some development in 7.4, I've
> decided I need to be
> > able to exceed the default limit of 16 arguments
> for plpgsql functions
> >
> > Then you will have to recompile the server, as
> well as dump / initdb /
> > restore it.
>
> Where can I go to get guidance on exactly how to do
> this.  It would be ideal
> to be able to simply change my typical ports command
> of:
>
>     make && make install
>
> ...into...
>
>     make --max-args-option=32 && make install
>
> but I doubt it will be that simple.  And, at this
> point, I have no idea what
> that make option would be.  I'd like to try building
> this from ports if at
> all possible.  I could fall back to download source
> and run ./configure,
> etc. but prefer not to.
>
> Thanks everyone for your help so far.

You will need to start over.  You can preserve your
data by either of the two previously suggested
methods, i.e. pg_dumpall, or copy the $PGDATA
directory off to the side, then restore it later.

Remove the port with pkg_delete or whatever the
correct command on FreeBSD is these days (haven't done
it for a while).  Do a "make fetch" to get your 7.4.1
source.

In your port directory you should now have a "work"
directory, under which will be the Postgres source,
starting at the "src" directory.  Go to the file
src/include/pg_config.h, and change the settings for
FUNC_MAX_ARGS and INDEX_MAX_KEYS to 32 (they have to
have the same value).

Next "make install", restore your data, and you should
be good.  Note that I am pulling this from the list
archives and have never done this myself (and working
from memory a good bit besides), so caveat emptor.