Re: Any real known bugs about wrong selects?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Any real known bugs about wrong selects?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 13 January 2004 15:08, Jeff Eckermann wrote:

> I have been reading the PostgreSQL mailing lists for
> several years now, and have seen many bug reports.
> Few of these turn out to be actual bugs, usually they
> are due to error or misunderstanding by the user, or
> else hardware failures.  In those few cases where the
> bugs are genuine, there is usually a patch released
> within hours of the report.  Try and match that
> anywhere else.

And if you want read them too, the archive is publicly available at the
following URL:
  http://www.postgresql.org/lists.html
You can see into our kitchens before sitting down to your meal...
Oh - another place to get a feel for what sort of bugs get found/fixed in a
live release, have a look in the online docs at the release notes.

The only bug that's bitten me was one where a backup/restore didn't set the
search_path correctly. It meant I had to intervene in a restore -
inconvenient, nothing more.

I think the most serious bug of recent times is probably the one fixed in
7.3.4 - search for server startup/WAL. As I recall, if some boundary
condition was met the server would refuse to start. I don't believe it caused
any damage to data.

PS - Jeff's right about the response time. For actual bugs, it's often
breathtakingly fast to get a patch.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd