Re: Any real known bugs about wrong selects?

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: Any real known bugs about wrong selects?
Дата
Re: Any real known bugs about wrong selects?  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
Список pgsql-general
--- David Teran <david.teran@cluster9.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are currently using another database product but
> besides some
> licensing issues we are finding more and more
> problems with the
> database. We are evaluating PostgreSQL and it looks
> quite handy.
> Interesting features paired with good performance
> and a lot of users
> seems to be a prove for the quality.
>
> I wonder if people encountered bugs like 'a select
> returns a wrong
> number of rows' or any other very serious bugs. We
> do not have problems
> with things like database crashes (because we
> already needed to check
> and fix such things with the other database product)
> or with slow
> execution time in some cases but we take it very
> serious if a bug
> results in -wrong- result sets because we are
> calculating bills and
> other things which is very sensible to wrong results
> from select
> statements.
>
> As PostgeSQL is not a commercial product i hope that
> we are getting
> real, more reliable answers about bugs than from the
> database producer
> whose product we are using since now.

You appear to be asking "Does it work?" ???
PostgreSQL has been used in many real business
applications for a number of years, and in recent
times, more and more large, mission critical systems.
Check http://advocacy.postgresql.org for more on that.

I have been reading the PostgreSQL mailing lists for
several years now, and have seen many bug reports.
Few of these turn out to be actual bugs, usually they
are due to error or misunderstanding by the user, or
else hardware failures.  In those few cases where the
bugs are genuine, there is usually a patch released
within hours of the report.  Try and match that
anywhere else.