Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Tag: REL7_4_STABLE

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Tag: REL7_4_STABLE
Дата
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Tag: REL7_4_STABLE  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> (It might be good if we had a more standardized way of generating
> >> HISTORY though.  I tried a couple different versions of lynx and
> >> got a couple different outputs, none perfectly matching whatever
> >> version Bruce is using ...)
>
> > Is this something that could be added to the 'make dist' target, so that
> > it happens as part of the bundle build?
>
> Not a bad idea.  AFAICS we have the generation of HISTORY down to a
> script now; there's no reason for it to be in CVS at all.  It'd be nice
> to do the same for INSTALL, but I'm not sure if that takes any manual
> twiddling or not.  (Peter?)

INSTALL pulls the release number from configure.in, or configure.

> The version of lynx that's on cvs.postgresql.org seems to produce okay
> output (it's what I ended up using yesterday), so standardizing on that
> wouldn't be a problem.

I have:
Lynx Version 2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000)Built on bsdi4.3 Jun  5 2001 12:07:55

and I see postgresql.org has:
Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.16 (01 Jun 2003)libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.7bBuilt on freebsd4.8 Sep  1 2003
04:28:28

The only problem with removing HISTORY from CVS is that we will not have
an easily reable list of release changes _until_ we package the release.
Perhaps we should keep HISTORY in CVS, but regenerate it on tarball
packaging, and INSTALL too.

Pennsylvania19073