Re: IDENT and IPv6 (was Re: [GENERAL] pg_hba.conf change in 7.4)

От Kurt Roeckx
Тема Re: IDENT and IPv6 (was Re: [GENERAL] pg_hba.conf change in 7.4)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 02:09:25PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> [ moved to -hackers ]

> >> We are also wonder if there is a version of Ident server
> >> that the PostgreSQL community knows that will work
> >> with IPv6.
>
> > That is the big question.  I would think Solaris ships with one, but
> > maybe not.  Is 7.4/Solaris/ident not a workable combination?  Folks?
>
> Has anyone tested our Ident support under IPv6 on *any* OS?
>
> Right offhand I don't see anything in the RFC 1413 protocol that would
> break in moving from IPv4 to IPv6, but that doesn't mean there isn't
> anything.  One issue that catches my eye is that RFC 1413 assumes that
> "port number" is a unique identifier of a connection within a particular
> host; that assumption might be shaky in a system that's got multiple IP
> addresses.  (In particular I wonder whether IPv4 and IPv6 will share a
> common port number address space on a system handling both ...)

The tcp connection is two ip/port combinations.  The ident
connection should use the same ip address as the other end
connected too, and says which port numbers, so you know the combination.

I haven't tried it ident using postgresql, but I did for other
things and I know it works there.

Kurt