Error registering pg as a Windows Service

От
Тема Error registering pg as a Windows Service
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
I am trying to get Postgres to work on my Windows ME machine and have completely installed cygwin, (including cygipc
realizingit comes installed now). The Postgresql book I am reading from,(Douglas & Douglas) instructs the following.

$ ipc-daemon --install-as-service
$ cygrunsrv \
  --install     PostgreSQL \
  --path      /usr/bin/postmaster \
  --args      "-D /usr/local/pgdata" \
  --dep       ipc-daemon \
  --password  bovine \
  --termsig   INT \
  --shutdown

This returned several different errors and I altered the command to reflect the newer version of ipc-daemon,
(ipc-daemon2.exe):

$ ipc-daemon2--install-as-service
$ cygrunsrv \
  --install     PostgreSQL \
  --path      /usr/bin/postmaster \
  --args      "-D /usr/local/pgdata" \
  --dep       ipc-daemon2\
  --password  bovine \
  --termsig   INT \
  --shutdown

The error I can't seem to get beyond is:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a sevice: OpenSCManager:  Win32 error 120: This function is not supported on this system.

Now, I have searched the internet and postgresql.org and found some signs of others having the same problems
configuringa windows service with Windows-ME, although not only with postgres but other packages as well,(sshd etc.).

I suspect that the Windows-ME OS registers services a little differently that older OS's and that cygrunsrv is trying
toregister the service using an unimplemented function that doesn't exist in Windows-ME. That's about all I can say at
thistime.

Do I use another computer with another OS, (I'm guessing Windows 98), or is there a missing argument in my call to
cygrunsrvthat I need to enable postgres to become a service on Windows-ME. Thank you in advance for help anyone might
beable to lend me.

Ralph