Re: gforge

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: gforge
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Have CC'd PeterE into this, since he's the one that first brought up
gForge on the list, as a possible replacement for gBorg ... maybe he can
elaborate ...

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Dave Page wrote:

> > Like ... ?  Note, I don't use gborg, only look at it as a
> > user periodically, so I'm asking based on what I've heard,
> > not what I've experienced ...
>
> As an example, Chris had added options to allow us to hide various bits
> of the site for some projects (see psqlodbc for example, various bits
> such as mailing lists, feature requests and bug reports are turned off.
> Likewise for pgweb).
>
> I can't see what each project can do on gforge either as my registration
> confirmation email has yet to arrive after a number of hours :-(

Based on teh documentation, you can enable/disable:

Mailing aLists
Surveys
Forums
Project/Task Manager
CVS
pserver
anon CVS
News
Doc Mgr
Ftp
Tracker
File Release System
Statistics

And point HomePage to a different location ...

As for the registration ... I got mine within seconds of filling in the
form ... *puzzled look*  Can someone else try and let me know if they too
are seeing problems?

> > > A few thoughts:
> > >
> > > - What are you going to do about existing projects? Force
> > them to move
> > > or end up with 2 projeect sites. Bear in mind that some of the more
> > > important ones (libpqxx, npgsql etc.) may not want to move.
> >
> > cross-linkage between the two shouldn't be a problem ... add
> > a project to gforge for libpqxx and have it pointing to gborg ...
>
> Yes, but what a mess.

Agreed, was only staying it was possible ...

> > > - If ppl move site, then there will be potentially massive
> > migration
> > > of user lists to handle.
> >
> > Actually, that isn't a big issue ... both use CVS and both
> > use mailman, so moving files from gborg to gforge is simple ...
>
> Tell that to all the users who will have new list addresses etc.
>
> > Right now, I'm just playing with gforge based on discussions
> > on Advocacy ... since I don't use either, its no skin off my
> > back which we use.  But, every time that someone suggests to
> > a project to put it up on gborg, there is generally a long
> > thread of "but it doesn't do this, its to rigid in that" that
> > goes on before the whole thread is drop'd ...
>
> I don't recall ever seeing one of those threads but then I don't read
> -general or -advocacy.
>
> What exactly is wrong with GBorg? Can't we fix it? I just feel that
> there would be no way around having two project sites which would just
> seem ridiculous to anyone who doesn't know the history, or a helluva
> mess changing over 136 projects and 3516 users to a new system.

As for what exactly is wrong with gBorg ... again, I don't know, as I
don't use it ... but, as an example, why doesn't PgAdmin3 use it, except
as a redirect to http://www.pgadmin.org?

Again, note, I'm neither here nor there on this ... it was suggested, so I
started to play with it to see what it could do ... if its just a matter
of taking cues from gForge and bring them to gBorg, that's cool too ...

----