Re: pg_restore and FK constraints with large dbs

От ow
Тема Re: pg_restore and FK constraints with large dbs
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
--- Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:

> I assume you're also not modifying the pktable rows (since that would
> access the fk table based solely on the fk).

I do modify the fk table: inserts and updates (but pk is never updated). Also
do not delete records.

> Does the multi-field index start with fk or some other field?
Some other field.

In general, even if I put that additional index and somehow cut down FK
verification time for 1 constraint to, say, 30 min, does that mean that the
problem is solved? Tomorrow, someone may come with 800M fk table against 200K
pk table, or he may have 10 FK constraints like this, etc. How's he going to
restore db in production environment when there's a problem and time is factor?

Thanks