Re: ATA disks and RAID controllers for database servers

От Jeff
Тема Re: ATA disks and RAID controllers for database servers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:07:40 +1300
Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Clearly it is possible to obtain very good performance with write
> caching on using RAID0, and if you have a UPS together with good backup
> practice then this could be the way to go.
>
> With caching off there is a considerable decrease in performance,
> however this performance may be "good enough" if viewed in a
> cost-benefit-safely manner.

UNless the controller itself has a battery backed cache it is dangerous - there are many more failures than losing
power. Ie, blowing out the power supply or cpu.  We've burnt up a fair share of cpu's over the years.  Luckly on a Sun
itisn't that big a deal.. but on x86. wel... you get the idea.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/