Re: Conservation of OIDs

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Conservation of OIDs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:37:50PM -0500, btober@seaworthysys.com wrote:

> > If you're really concerned, you can initdb separate clusters for QAT
> > and DEV and run three postmasters using three different ports.
>
> Follow-up question: Are different ports really necessary?

No, and it will be probably a waste of shared_buffers too.  IMHO you
should keep them under a single postmaster, and forget about the OID
wraparound problem.  It won't be a problem for you anyway, because if
you create the whole DB from scratch you won't have OID collision
anyway, even on year 2030 when your OIDs really do wrap around.  Maybe by
then we will have 8 bit OIDs anyway, and you will surely initdb way
before that.

"Las mujeres son como hondas:  mientras más resistencia tienen,
más lejos puedes llegar con ellas"  (Jonas Nightingale, Leap of Faith)