Re: Page contents

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Page contents
Дата
Re: Page contents  (Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com>)
Site designs, upgrades, and Konqueror  (Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com>)
Список pgsql-www
Guys,

(FYI:  Michael, your site design did not render at all well on Konqueror)

I agree with Michael that something needs to be done to reduce the number of
links and text on the main page.    One approach taken by many websites is to
reduce their links to the major headings and a handful (3-5) of frequently
requested items.

I think that's a good approach for us.    The major headings, from my
perspective, would be (in no particular order):

Downloads
Documentation & User Information
Press Room
Developers
Gborg
About
Store

and to come in the future:
Jobs
PostgreSQL Foundation

Given those links and other stuff that needs to be on the front page, but
*not* on other pages:
Links to non-english sites
Survey
Mission Statement
News Items
Events

I think we could have a pretty full page *without* providing any greater
detail.  And the whole page might load without scrolling at 1024x768, a
consumation devoutly to be wished!

FYI, things which are coming to our web site in the future:
jobs.postgresql.org want ad list, in PHP/postgresql (my company is building
this) (seperate "page")
"Postgres CPAN", an searchable library of database functions, code snippits
and examples (in Docs & Users)
PostgreSQL In the News: scrolling links to news articles. (in Press Room)

I mention the above because all will be dynamic content which needs to be
plugged in somewhere.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions