Re: Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site

От Andreas Grabmüller
Тема Re: Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site
Дата
Re: Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site  (Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com>)
Re: Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site  (Michael Glaesemann <glaesema@myrealbox.com>)
Список pgsql-www
----- Original-Nachricht -----
Von: "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com>
An: pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 07:31 PM
Betreff: [pgsql-www] Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site

> Andreas, folks:

Hi Josh,

> You may have already thought of this, but there's two issues that need to
> govern our support of multiple languages on www.postgresql.org:

Well, I must confess I didn't think much about this issues as at the beginning the only plan was to add
multi-language-capabilitiesto the main site (with just some pages) and the idea to merge advocacy is something new...

> 1) It needs to be possible for translators to translate content without
> knowing HTML, XHTML, or CVS.   Right now, we have 17 volunteer translators,
> but if you limit translation to people who have HTML skills, that gets cut
> down to *three*.   And if you have the translators send you stuff for you to
> correct/markup, you will spend several/many hours per week doing this.
>     The approach which Robert took with the Advocacy site isn't bad, except for
> the below issue and that translation elements need to be groupable for
> comprehensaibility.

It's difficult to create elements like lists without knowing HTML. I think we have two options here: a bbcode parser
thatallows some input like the popular bulletin boards do or using a WYSIWYG editor.

The first one is easier to implement but the second is easier to handle by the translator. The only problem I see is
thatit's very difficult to limit a WYSIWYG editor (one of the freely available) to our design guidelines and converting
itsoutput to XML (using our CSS classes). So I would vote for the first option for the beginning. Can we expect our
translatorsto be able to use some bbcodes as long as they are compatible to those of the big boards (vBulletin for
example)?

> 2) It also needs to be possible for the non-English communities to contribute
> content in some form to their own site without having it first in English.
> I'm thinking of the German & Brazillian communities particularly.

If a translator creates a page in its own language, should it be not available to other languages or appear in that
foreignlanguage for the english people? Should they be able to change the menu (just for their own language or for
all)?

I'm currently thinking about how to rewrite the system to meet the new requirements, so I would be glad to get some
suggestionsand critics...

> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions