Re: Help with hang on empty query (PG 7.3.2,

От Jeff Eckermann
Тема Re: Help with hang on empty query (PG 7.3.2,
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
--- Steve Wampler <swampler@noao.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 11:38, Jeff Eckermann wrote:
> > --- Steve Wampler <swampler@noao.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > I recently upgraded a system from RedHat 8 to
> RedHat
> > > 9, which
> > > meant an upgrade of PG 7.2 to 7.3.2.  Several
> > > applications
> > > that are written in a language that relies upon
> dbc
> > > to access
> > > postgresql have stopped working.
> > >
> > > I've installed from source psqlodbc-07.03.0200
> > > (pthread
> > > and iodbc support).  From the logs it looks as
> > > though the
> > > connection is succeeding up to the point that an
> > > empty query is sent (dunno why the empty query
> is
> > > being
> > > sent - it appears to be part of the connection
> > > procedure).
> > > At this point the connection hangs - no
> messages, or
> > > errors.
> > > Killing the client program causes postgresql to
> log
> > > a:
> > >
> > >    LOG:  pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client
> > > connection
> > >
> > > message.
> > >
> > > These programs had all been working with the
> odbc
> > > RPM that was
> > > available for 7.2.3, so I assume it's something
> > > do with
> > > how I configured the build.
> > >
> > > (Can someone tell me why the odbc RPM was
> dropped
> > > with 7.3?)
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > Someone posted a similar problem to the list not
> long
> > ago.  Turned out to be a connection problem, i.e.
> they
> > could not connect to the server from the new
> client
> > machine at all.  Can you successfully connect and
> > issue queries from this machine using psql or any
> > other interface?
>
> Yes, with no problem, both psql and jdbc.

That's me out of ideas, then.  I believe the driver
issues an empty query as part of the connection
routine to get a response back from the server, just
to test that someone is listening.  In principle, if
that doesn't work, other queries wouldn't work either.
 I don't remember whether you posted your odbc log (I
deleted the message), so please post it if you didn't
before: maybe someone can make something out of it.