Re: Call for port reports

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Call for port reports
Дата
Re: Call for port reports  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > BUT: The default CFLAGS are set by configure to -O2, although the template
> > > wants -O.  I manually modified the CFLAGS to -O after configure.
> >
> > template/alpha has:
> >
> >     case $host_cpu in
> >       alpha*)   CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -O";;  # alpha has problems with -O2
> >     esac
> >
> > Is this not getting invoked?
>
> After further consideration, I think that the recent patch series that
> tried to centralize the CFLAGS handling in configure should be reverted to
> configure.in revision 1.293.  Otherwise, it's much to complicated to
> handle all the special cases.  There is, after all, a reason we have been
> forced to keep it this way all these years.

Remember the old code had CFLAGS="" in lots of platforms, meaning they
got no optimization.

It seems right now Alpha is our only problem, and it is really just a
message problem because the later flags override the earlier ones.  Why
can't get just remove -O2 from the alpha CFLAGS line via makefile magic?
Frankly, we could just do CFLAGS="-O" and be done with it because we
would not be bringing in the -O2, but I would rather keep it clean and
remove just -O2.

I don't think going backwards is a good solution because it spreads the
problem down to the templates again.

Pennsylvania19073