Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum
Дата
Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephen wrote:
> I think adding tunable delay per-page loop into VACUUM will help keep system
> responsive at all times. In many cases, especially for mostly read-only
> tables, plain VACUUM does not need to complete immediately (VACUUM FULL
> should complete immediately). I prefer that VACUUM takes its sweet time to
> run as long as it doesn't disrupt other queries. See my other post on
> "VACUUM degrades performance significantly. Database becomes unusable!" on
> pgsql-general mailing list.

Of course, this makes VACUUM run longer, and if you are waiting for it
to finish, it would be worse, like if you are running it at night or
something.

I think the delay has to take into account the number of active
transactions or something.

Pennsylvania19073