Re: [PORTS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [PORTS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src/template bsdi freebsd
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> >>  Well, why do we have it enabled at all? If it's to speed compilation, we
> >>  may as well enable it on other platforms where -pipe works, of which
> >>  Linux is one.
> >
> >My gcc 2.95.3 manual says:
> >
> >        -pipe  Use pipes rather than temporary files for  communi-
> >               cation  between  the various stages of compilation.
> >               This fails to work on some systems where the assem-
> >               bler cannot read from a pipe; but the GNU assembler
> >               has no trouble.
> >
> >so it looks like we can't use it on all platforms without testing.  I
> >will enable it for linux.  Do people want to test other platforms?
>
> It should work on any platform that uses the GNU tools, so that means
> *BSD is in the same boat as Linux.
>
> Does it really speed compilation though?  I saw somewhere that it
> didn't make much difference and might even hurt sometimes.

I saw a 5 second improvement with -pipe on a 150 second full compile of
PostgreSQL.  However, I have a MFS /tmp.  I suppose if I didn't, it
would be slower.  However, the difference is so small as to be
meaningless.  Can someone else test on another *BSD and report?