Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery!

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Sun performance - Major discovery!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 02:31:29PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, this is really embarassing.  I can't imagine why we would not set
> at least -O on all platforms.  Looking at the template files, I see
> these have no optimization set:

I think gcc _used_ to generate bad code on SPARC if you set any
optimisation.  We tested it on Sol7 with gcc 2.95 more than a year
ago, and tried various settings.  -O2 worked, but other items were
really bad.  Some of them would pass regression but cause strange
behaviour, random coredumps, &c.  A little digging demonstrated that
anything beyond -O2 just didn't work for gcc at the time.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110