Re: More Prelimiary DBT-2 Test Results with PostgreSQL

От markw@osdl.org
Тема Re: More Prelimiary DBT-2 Test Results with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 22 Sep, Greg Stark wrote:

> markw@osdl.org writes:
>
>> http://developer.osdl.org/markw/74/
>
> Are those response times in the right unit? 7-10s?

Yeah, the database really isn't tuned at all.  I've gotten some
suggestions off the list that I will be trying.  I'll report them as I
complete them.
> Are these mostly full table scans and big batch updates?

The plans (http://developer.osdl.org/markw/74/db/plan0.out) don't show
any table scans.  They appears to be mostly index scans.  There aren't
any batch updates.
> Personally, I'm more interested in seeing OLTP-oriented benchmarks testing
> quick index based transactions in the 20-200ms range, not big i/o-bound batch
> transactions. There's certainly a need for both, but I think the former are
> much more important to micro-optimize, at least for my needs.

Right, and when this thing is tuned better, I expect the transactions to
be down in the 20-200ms range.  I do have about 70 drives for the
database, so it really shouldn't be i/o bound at with the size of the
database I'm using now, which is about 20 or 30 GB.

Mark