Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of Beta 2)

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of Beta 2)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 06:49:56PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Hadn't thought of it that way ... but, what would prompt someone to
> upgrade, then use something like erserver to roll back?  All I can think
> of is that the upgrade caused alot of problems with the application
> itself, but in a case like that, would you have the time to be able to
> 're-replicate' back to the old version?

The trick is to have your former master set up as slave before you
turn your application back on.

The lack of a rollback strategy in PostgreSQL upgrades is a major
barrier for corporate use.  One can only do so much testing, and it's
always possible you've missed something.  You need to be able to go
back to some known-working state.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110