Re: [PERFORM] Seq scan of table?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Seq scan of table?
Дата
Re: [PERFORM] Seq scan of table?  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 05 September 2003 09:47, Bjorn T Johansen wrote:
> I think I have found out why.. I have a where clause on a ID field but it
> seems like I need to cast this integer to the same integer as the field is
> defined in the table, else it will do a tablescan.
>
> Is this assumtion correct? And if it is, do I then need to change all my
> sql's to cast the where clause where I just have a number (eg where field
> = 1) to force the planner to use index scan instead of seq scan?

PG's parser will assume an explicit number is an int4 - if you need an int8
etc you'll need to cast it, yes.
You should find plenty of discussion of why in the archives, but the short
reason is that PG's type structure is quite flexible which means it can't
afford to make too many assumptions.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd