Re: French translation

От Guillaume LELARGE
Тема Re: French translation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Le Mercredi 3 Septembre 2003 03:47, Alvaro Herrera a écrit :
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:24:06PM +0200, Francois Suter wrote:
> > A (renewed) effort has been launched by Guillaume Lelarge (with the
> > help of Jerome Seyler and myself) to translate PostgreSQL to French.
> >
> > The goal is to translate the various applications, the manuals (doc and
> > man pages), as well as the FAQs. Even if we are not starting completely
> > from scratch, since some elements of previous versions had been
> > translated (we are working on 7.4), this is still quite a challenge.
>
> How are you planning to translate the SGML documentation?  More to the
> point, how do you plan to keep the translations up to date?

There's a lot of way to do this.

Let's say you're able to have a complete translation for the 7.4
documentation. You put it in your own CVS. When you have some time to update
your translation, all you need to do is getting names of modified files from
a cvs update of the original postgresql cvs. With the files' name and cvsweb,
it will really be easy to know what modifications have been done, and you can
update the translation of these files. This is the way I chose for the LFS
and BLFS documentation and it work quite simply.
Another way is to put the english version and the translated one in your cvs
repository. As soon as you finish your translations, you get the new files
(if any) by a cvs update, put them in your own cvs. This way, you have a way
to know which modification have been done (cvs web, cvs diff, etc.).
You can also create po files from sgml and translate the po files.

> I ask because I want to organize people to translate the documentation
> to spanish.  There's already a translated version, but it's for 6.5
> (eons old) and they have made little progress in the updating.  What I
> want to avoid is having to check by hand which pages change and where...
> do you have some infrastructure for this?

We also have some old translations but it will be really hard to use them.

> I've read somewhere that the KDE project uses conversion tool from SGML
> to PO, and translate using the PO tools (which can detect fuzzy strings,
> already translated strings and such), but I haven't researched it.
Yes, some tools can save sentences ou para of your sgml files in .po files. It
could be an interesting way to do it. As you said, the KDE team uses this
method with great success but I didn't experience it myself.

--
Guillaume
  <!-- http://absfr.tuxfamily.org/