Help with pg_restore

От dan
Тема Help with pg_restore
Дата
Re: Help with pg_restore  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin
I'm having some problems running pg_rstore, and reading the documentation
hasn't helped. I've used postgres for a couple of years as a programmer, but
this is the first time I've had to restore a large database. I'm also
posting this message to the postgres-novices lists.

We've got a large database system (several 10s of gigabytes). We have a copy
of our database that was generated by db_dump. We had our RAID array crash a
week ago, and just finished repairing it, so I now have to restore the
database.

The db_dump output was split into 3 files; let's call them file1, file2, and
file3.

I created the data directory, then ran initdb to do the intial setup. I next
ran:
cat file1 file2 file3 | pg_restore --clean --create
It churned for a while and generated a lot of output (file1 and file 2 are
just over a gigabyte each, and file3 is about 300 MB). But when I ran psql,
none of the tables had been created. What am I doing wrong?

Just for giggles I specified "--file=reload.sql" and ran it again, thinking
I could build a file that I could then feed into psql to do the restore. But
that died with a "maximum file size exceeded" error. I'm assuming that's
because of how pg_restore was compiled (we've for some pretty massive files
(well over 2 GB) on disk, so our install of Linux obviously supports files
larger than 2 GB).

What do I need to do to get our database back? I am not able to get any
useful work done until I can get access to the database again.

HELP!

Dan Mahoney
dan@webfolks.us
AA6GF

"How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven."
Robert Heinlein

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of
life - music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer