Re: Some vacuum & tuning help

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Some vacuum & tuning help
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:45:34AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> For core code, the answer would be a big NYET.  We do not do feature
> additions in point releases, only bug fixes.  While contrib code is more
> under the author's control than the core committee's control, I'd still
> say that you'd be making a big mistake to not follow that basic
> guideline.  People expect release x.y.z+1 to be the same as x.y.z except
> for bug fixes.  Introducing any new bugs into x.y.z+1 would cause a
> large loss in your credibility.

... and since contrib packages are distributed along with PG, it would
also be a loss to PG's credibility. IMHO, core should disallow feature
additions in point releases for contrib modules, as well as the core
code, except for very unusual situations. If contrib authors don't like
this facet of our release engineering process, they can always
distribute their code via some other outlet (gborg, SF, etc.).

-Neil