Re: Some vacuum & tuning help

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Some vacuum & tuning help
Дата
Re: Some vacuum & tuning help
Список pgsql-performance
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> ... My really question
> was can I make large changes to a contrib module to a point release,
> meaning, 7.4.0 will have what is in beta, but 7.4.1 would have a much
> improved version.  Does that sound possible?

For core code, the answer would be a big NYET.  We do not do feature
additions in point releases, only bug fixes.  While contrib code is more
under the author's control than the core committee's control, I'd still
say that you'd be making a big mistake to not follow that basic
guideline.  People expect release x.y.z+1 to be the same as x.y.z except
for bug fixes.  Introducing any new bugs into x.y.z+1 would cause a
large loss in your credibility.

(speaking as one who's introduced new bugs into a point-release
recently, and is still embarrassed about it, even though the intent
was only to fix older bugs...)

Сообщение: Re: Some vacuum & tuning help
Сообщение: Re: Some vacuum & tuning help