Re: problem with RH7.3 Pg7.3.4 binaries

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: problem with RH7.3 Pg7.3.4 binaries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday 04 August 2003 11:53, Joe Conway wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > I know building RPMs can be a major pain, but ISTM that builds should be
> > published that don't break on vanilla installations. I'm prepared to
> > help with fixing this if necessary. For now I've upgraded to 7.3.3 (the
> > RPMs for this don't suffer the same problem on RH7.3).

> Sorry, that's my fault, not Lamar's. I built the 7.3 RPMs for him.
> Unfortunately I don't have a plain vanilla installation available -- I
> had forgotten that I upgraded ssl to something non-standard :(

> Perhaps if you have a vanilla 7.3 machine available, you could build new
> 7.3 RPMs from the source RPM and give them to Lamar for distribution?

Until vanilla-built RH7.3 RPMs are available, I've removed them from the FTP
site.  I don't have an RH7.3 installation readily available for building.

Joe, the RHAS binaries won't have this problem, right?

To prevent this in the future, I'm going to state that anyone who wants to
build RPMs for distribution needs to do so with a fully up to date vanilla
installation of the target OS.  Since I do this myself for whatever RPMs I'm
personally building, it was an easy assumption to make that everyone would do
this.  My apologies.

A minor rant: I seem to vacillate between providing only one set of RPMs
versus providing whatever sets people can build for me.  There is a definite
tradeoff between having lots of sets available and having only good sets
available.  While I do my best to ensure only good sets are available, I am
not able to test every set that is built.  That is one reason I've not begun
GPG-signing my RPMs -- if you want certified RPMs build them yourself.  It
isn't that hard.  And when people are so impatient for RPMsets, then complain
that the set didn't work -- well, it isn't the most encouraging thing in the
world.  You want guaranteed RPMs that will install on your machine the day of
the release?  You have three choices: build them yourself, pay someone to
build them, or wait until the official set is available.  My rate for
building RPMs under those conditions is $100 per hour. (and I have been paid
that rate before.)  But the official set will only get uploaded once I've had
the time to build it and test it.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology