Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

От Roberto Mello
Тема Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:51:11PM -0400, Chad N. Tindel wrote:

> <RANT>As a programmer, I personally would never write code that kept people from
> running things as root.  I mean, what is the point?  If an administrator

Hmmm?

The point is something called security.

> wants to run postgresql or apache as root, why shouldn't they be allowed
> to make that conscious decision for themselves?  As it is, you have to recompile

Because administrators have too much to worry about. If an application
makes a conscious decision to allow itself to run in a knowingly insecure
manner, that application is doing the admin a disfavor, and should be
ditched.

> apache with some BIG_SECURITY_HOLE defined in order to run as root, which means
> you can't just use the out of the box apache rpm.  Its so stupid to write
> *extra* code that keeps people from doing something that isn't even
> fundamentally incorrect.</RANT>

This has no logic. Security is fundamental. No security is fundamentally
incorrect.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +

Сообщение: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Сообщение: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls