Re: storage calculations

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: storage calculations
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:41:54PM -0400, pgboy@guthrie.charm.net wrote:

> well, i was close. i didn't realize that i had to do a (non-full)
> vacuum to mark deleted space as free.

Ooops, I think I was still unclear.  VACUUM FULL actually re-arranges
the file, and returns it to the filesystem.  Plain VACUUM does indeed
leave you with a file that is bigger than the actual data stored
there.

You can learn how much more data you could fit in the files using
VACUUM VERBOSE, keeping in mind that tuples may not always fit in an
already-allocated page (like when the tuples are large).

> available until i do a full vacuum, correct? (at which time the
> file size(s) will indicate the amount being used)

That's right, yes.

> just started looking at fsm. thanks for the pointer there. i hope
> i'm not acting too obtuse here.

Nope.  If you don't ask, you won't learn about it.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110