Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 14 July 2003 3:16 pm, Terence Chang wrote:

> I am new to PostgreSQL DB, however I have years experience with Oracle 8i
> and MS SQL. I am in the process to promot PostgreSQL to my future client,
> due to the cost. I am just wondering if overall people feels frustrated
> with PostgreSQL or feels happey with it.

General comments:

1) Asking people on this list if they like PostgreSQL is like going to
skid-row and asking the winos if they like Ripple and Night Train.

2) Learn PostgreSQL first, promote it to clients after you are familiar with
its capabliities and limitations and can relate those to the specific
project.

> 1. What is your favorite GUI tool for PostgreSQL?
I almost always just use psql. Our Windoze users seem to like pgadmin.

> 2. In your organization, do you have someone who works as full time
> PostgreSQL DBA?
No.

> 3. What is the biggest challenge you have with PostgreSQL? Administration
> or Programming?

Programming.

With a bit of reading and research you will get past the administration
gotchas pretty quickly. I think the top two I see are relying on the default
.conf file (it's set to allow PG to start out-of-the-box on many platforms,
not to run fast on your specific platform) and failing to use vacuum and
vacuum analyze (cron is your friend).

Once you get PG tuned and your maintenance and backup automated then almost
all of the challenges are programming. Not that I'm complaining, mind you -
PG is not particularly difficult to work with. It's just that we do a lot of
development and the PG server just runs which frees us to concentrate on
programming.

> 4. Overall, do you like PostgreSQL? Would you recommend it over MySQL?
Yes/Yes

> 5. How often do your PostgreSQL run into problem or crash? Are most of the
> problem caused by PostgreSQL itself?
I don't recall any crashes. I routinely have connections up for months at a
time (not just the OS, not just the PG server but individual client
connections that persist for several months).

Cheers,
Steve