Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 14 Jul 2003 11:16 pm, Terence Chang wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL DB, however I have years experience with Oracle 8i
> and MS SQL. I am in the process to promot PostgreSQL to my future client,
> due to the cost. I am just wondering if overall people feels frustrated
> with PostgreSQL or feels happey with it.

Pretty happy - easier to admin remotely the MS-SQL.

> I know MySQL is simpiler and cheap. With my years experience with
> enterprise level DB like Oracle and MS SQL, I just don't feel right with
> MySQL. I love stored procedure. Sorry to MySQL lovers.
>
> I have the following questions. Please reply me offline, so the mailling
> list won't get flood. Thanks!
> 1. What is your favorite GUI tool for PostgreSQL?

Mostly use psql, otherwise phpPgAdmin or PgAdmin if I'm on a windows box -
I've recently recommended PgAdmin to a client I'm working with and after a
couple of hours use he seems to like it.

> 2. In your organization, do you have someone who works as full time
> PostgreSQL DBA?

Small devt/support shop, so it's me, and I'm not full time for any particular
client.

> 3. What is the biggest challenge you have with PostgreSQL? Administration
> or Programming?

Hmm - error messages in plpgsql - not always as informative as they might be.
So that would be Programming.

> 4. Overall, do you like PostgreSQL? Would you recommend it over MySQL?

Yes, very pleased, and yes, I'd recommend it over MySQL. I use both, but I've
come to the conclusion that for the sort of custom systems I tend to build /
support it makes sense to use a more sophisticated package and perhaps spend
a few hundred pounds on hardware if it really matters.

> 5. How often do your PostgreSQL run into problem or crash? Are most of the
> problem caused by PostgreSQL itself?

Never seen a crash on my systems (well, not one that was caused by PG). I'd
not say I've never read about a crash on the mailing lists in the few years
I've been here, but most of them seemed to be hardware related in the end.

--
  Richard Huxton