Horrible pg_restore performance, please help

От brice
Тема Horrible pg_restore performance, please help
Дата
Re: Horrible pg_restore performance, please help  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

We're running Postgres 7.1.3 on a Redhat Linux system with 800 MHz CPU,
1GB ram, 1.5 GB Swap. This is obviously not a screamer of a box, but
its not terrible.

We're trying to import a 32 MB dump file and its taking forever. We've
tried multiple cfg changes, but things don't seem to speed up, or
rather ever finish. After about 10 minutes, the cpu is 100% consumed by
system, with pg_restore being the proc on top. pg_restore consumes
about 1200 MB of memory in total.

Our latest run has been going for almost 6 hours and is still not
complete. This just seems a little insane. I've read through google
groups and have tried changing shared mem parameters and postgres
parameters. Nothing seems to help.

Postgresql.conf:
  query=2
  syslog=0
  fsync=false
  shared_buffers=5000
  max_connections=64
  debug_level=0
  verbose=0

/proc/sys/kernel/shmall  --->  134217728
/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax  --->  134217728

Cmd:
  pg_restore -d <db name> -O -Sc <dump.file>

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks..