Re: PostgreSQL settings for 12GB RAM

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: PostgreSQL settings for 12GB RAM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 04:01:12PM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:

> This increase in buffers isn't free, since it will now cost Postgresql the
> overhead of manageing said buffers, plus they're in unix shared memory,
> which isn't all that fast compared to kernel level cache.

Also, I learned through painful experience that it gets slower as it
has to manage large data sets.  After some testing, we attempted a 2G
buffer size once, on the grounds that we had 12 G.  At first, we saw
some happy results, but after a couple days, things got painfully
slow.  I eventually concluded that once the buffer was full, managing
it was making the system crawl.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110