Re: [ADMIN] Latest transcation

От Jonathan Gardner
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Latest transcation
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

On Friday 20 June 2003 01:27, Anagha Joshi wrote:
> Yes...I'm aware of that and have tried also by maintaining extra table.
> But how to to the following:
> 1.    If insertion takes place, I want to return to the client the
> values (with field names of course)    which are inserted into the
> tables. In each case table might be different.

When you insert a single row, PostgreSQL returns the OID of that row. Just
follow up with a select (SELECT * FROM <your table> WHERE OID=<the oid>) and
you'll get all the info you need.

> 2.    If modification takes places, I want to know the values which
> are modified with field names and return them to the client.

You can do that by checking what is different between the data you inserted
and the data you get from the select statement.

> More precisely,
> My C++ client --
> '
> '
> "
>     Transcation begin
>         insert/update query to the backend is fired.
>             //control is tranferred to the trigger
>         //After trigger procedure is executed, I want at this
> point the values inserted/modified so         //as to pass them back
>     Transcation end
> '
> '

I don't think it can work the way you would like it. Try this algorithm.

For insert:
1. Insert query is run. (Trigger, other table inserts/updates performed)
2. With the OID from the insert, select the data.

For Update:
1. Update query is run. (Triggers, etc, are run as well).
2. With the OID (or Primary Key), select the data you just updated.

You can turn these two procedures into a stored procedure pretty easily. This
way, all you do is call a stored procedure, and it will pass back all the
data you need. You get a free transaction block inside the stored procedure
as well.

- --
Jonathan Gardner <jgardner@jonathangardner.net>
(was jgardn@alumni.washington.edu)