Some Questions

От Ludwig Lim
Тема Some Questions
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi:
   I would like to ask the following questions:
a) Are foreign key constraint triggers guaranteed to
execute first before any ordinary "BEFORE
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE" trigger is executed? (This is
assuming that the foreign keys are declared as "NOT
DEFERRABLE")

b) Is "varchar" (without upper limit) the same as
"text"?   I do notice that when I create a view :  create view v_test as (select 'test'::varchar(10)
union select 'test1'::varchar(10));
  a "\d v_test" on the psql prompt would always say
the only only column the view is of type "character
varying". Does a union of a varchar(n) column and a
another varchar(n) column would automatically cast it
to "character varying" (w/o upper limit) even if the
upper limit of the 2 varchar columns are the same?

thanks in advance,
ludwig lim