Re: PGSQL vs. SQL Server questions

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: PGSQL vs. SQL Server questions
Дата
Re: PGSQL vs. SQL Server questions  (Dani Oderbolz <oderbolz@ecologic.de>)
Список pgsql-novice
Lee,

Hi, I'm Josh, I admin both Postgres and MSSQL professionally.

> Is there a tool like SQL Query Analyser that will allow me to run my
> existing SQL statements a PGSQL database?

There is currently no free Query Analyzer equivalent.  PSQL, the command-line
interface, allows dynamic query execution, but it is text-mode rather than a
GUI.   Both the PGAccess and PGAdmin GUI projects have graphical query
windows, but they are somewhat more primitive than Query Analyzer.  EMS
HiTech's pay-for PostgreSQL GUI has an interface that is a lot more like QA
(with context completion, even).

For more information on the various GUIs available for PostgreSQL, see:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

> Can you setup database views in PGSQL?

Yes.  In fact, PGSQL supports more complex views than MSSQL does, more
sophisiticated procedures, and *updatable* views as well as read-only views.
I think you will be pleased at the functionality that PGSQL has which MSSQL
does not possess.

> Are the main SQL Server datatypes matched in PGSQL (ie. varchar, decimal,
> int, datetime)?

Postgres has more data types than MSSQL; particularly because of the ability
to create your own data types and domains in Postgres.  For example, we have
network and geometric data types as well as the ones you mention.

However, keep in mind that the internal implementation of our data types
differs from their analogs in MSSQL.  For example, Postgres Timestamp is
considerably more flexible and powerful than MSSQL's Datetime ... but the
differences take some getting used to.

> Is an OBDC compliant driver for PGSQL that will enable my COM objects to
> work against both PGSQL and SQL Server by merely varying the connection
> string?

I can't answer that one; Postgres has an ODBC driver, but how smoothly you can
transition your COM objects depends on too many factors to count.  I suggest
that you test it.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions