Re: Re-ordering .CONF params ... questions for this list

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Re-ordering .CONF params ... questions for this list
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Richard,

> Logging & Debugging
> I'd like this near the top, but then I use syslogging. With a new install I
go
> in and check tcpip_socket etc, fix the logging and just see if everything is
> working. Then I go in and do a little tuning.
> Actually, maybe the syslog sub-section should go above the others - say
where
> you'll log to, and then what you'll log. Of course, I'm biased since I use
> syslog.

I have no objection to moving the syslog section.  Any other opinions?

> Client Connection Defaults/Other/password_encryption
> This should probably go in the security section. Actually, looking at it
> "dynamic_librar_path" is in the wrong place too - cut & past error?

Not the way I read the docs; according to the docs:

password_encryption is whether or not the statement "ALTER USER joe_schmoe
WITH PASSWORD 'xxxyyy'" is encrypted by default even if you don't use the
"WITH ENCRYPTION" option.   And it is SET-able on each client connection, by
regular users.  So it goes in "CLIENT CONNECTION SETTINGS".

"dynamic_library_path", while less obvious, is also SETable on each client
connection.   I'd be happy to revise this if someone understands/uses this
option and has a better idea where to put it.

> Not sure it would help that much - the comments need a URL to the relevant
> page in the online docs though. A couple more lines of comments too:

Given that we're running out of time, I wasn't going to touch any of the
comments in PostgreSQL.conf.sample.   Instead, I was going to leave the
comments as-is, and post extensive comments on Techdocs before 7.4 beta.
Then, in 7.5 or 8.0 we can re-comment .conf.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions