Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > SET autocommit to 'off' is going away in 7.4 so the SET USER command
> > will not work anymore in that release, and I can't think of a
> > workaround.  There will be interface-specific settings, I assume, but I
> > am not sure how that would be controlled per-user.
>
> As I was just telling some Red Hat cohorts, I intend to provide
> autocommit support in psql for 7.4 --- probably controlled by a psql
> variable, though I've not gotten round to designing the details yet.
> In any case it will be possible to turn autocommit off in your ~/.psqlrc
> file if you have the desire to do so.  I would also say that the setting
> will not apply to psql -c invocations, thus avoiding the worst effects
> for scripts ...

In thinking about it, I don't see how we can ignore .psqlrc if it has
autocommit set to off.  Imagine I am in psql and I do '\i file', and it
works, so I code up psql -c in a script, and it doesn't work --- would
be quite strange.  I think the only thing we can do is have a psql flag
that turns autocommit on and overrides .psqlrc --- maybe that's what you
had in mind.

Pennsylvania19073