Re: Status during copy [patch]

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Status during copy [patch]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
How do people feel about this patch?  Currently COPY doesn't even return
a line count of the number of lines processed, while this patch would
make psql \copy produce date/time and count every 1000 rows, then print
a similar completion message.

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Hi,
>
> The following (link to a) patch is a first attempt to add updates during a
> \copy. This is so that one has some idea of progress. The output looks as
> follows:
>
> kleptog=# \copy website to /tmp/g
> COPY OUT 0:00:00  28 lines completed.
> kleptog=# \copy a from /tmp/h
> ERROR:  copy: line 186645, Invalid UNICODE character sequence found (0xe05f6c)
> lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
> kleptog=# \copy a from /tmp/i
> COPY IN 0:00:42  100000 lines completed.
> \.
>
> http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/psql-copy.patch
>
> File: src/bin/psql/copy.c   +64 -3
>
> The output is updated every 1000 rows. A total is listed at the end of the
> copy. When there's an error, no summary is printed.
>
> The output is sent to stderr, because it needs to be unbuffered and you
> generally don't want the progress to be redirected to a file. However, if
> stderr is redirected, should we just not print anything? What about
> non-interactive? Should it be a command-line option?
>
> Note it's not against current CVS since the anoncvs server is not working
> for me (error below). However, the sources don't appear to have changed too
> much.
>
> cvs [update aborted]: connect to anoncvs.postgresql.org(64.49.215.9):2401
> failed: Connection refused
>
> Comments appreciated.
> --
> Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> > "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
> > religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> > Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
> >   - Samuel P. Huntington
-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

Pennsylvania19073