Status during copy [patch]

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Status during copy [patch]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

The following (link to a) patch is a first attempt to add updates during a
\copy. This is so that one has some idea of progress. The output looks as
follows:

kleptog=# \copy website to /tmp/g
COPY OUT 0:00:00  28 lines completed.
kleptog=# \copy a from /tmp/h
ERROR:  copy: line 186645, Invalid UNICODE character sequence found (0xe05f6c)
lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
kleptog=# \copy a from /tmp/i
COPY IN 0:00:42  100000 lines completed.
\.

http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/psql-copy.patch

File: src/bin/psql/copy.c   +64 -3

The output is updated every 1000 rows. A total is listed at the end of the
copy. When there's an error, no summary is printed.

The output is sent to stderr, because it needs to be unbuffered and you
generally don't want the progress to be redirected to a file. However, if
stderr is redirected, should we just not print anything? What about
non-interactive? Should it be a command-line option?

Note it's not against current CVS since the anoncvs server is not working
for me (error below). However, the sources don't appear to have changed too
much.

cvs [update aborted]: connect to anoncvs.postgresql.org(64.49.215.9):2401
failed: Connection refused

Comments appreciated.