PostgreSQL RPM's and Red Hat.

От Lamar Owen
Тема PostgreSQL RPM's and Red Hat.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I was asked a question about Red Hat's involvement in the PGDG RPM's by
e-mail.  Since at least one person was interested, I thought I would post to
the list to satisfy everyone's curiosity.  At the end of this e-mail is a
Grand Unified Changelog for the RPMset.  It is massive.

Back in the summer of 1999, I was quite fed up with the snail's pace of
updates for PostgreSQL in RPM form from Red Hat.  I likewise was fed up (and
still am!) with the way that PostgreSQL major version upgrades require
unusual steps for completion.  As a result, I volunteered to take on building
and maintaining RPMs.  I didn't know what I was getting into!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I took the existing RPM's (for 6.5 beta)
and worked them around into shape.  Red Hat took notice, and my RPM's found
their way into Red Hat Linux 6.1.  I have striven to keep close sync ever
since.

How close (or not) of sync I have kept is illustrated by the changelog.  This
changelog is in somewhat reverse chronological order, newest entry first.  I
began pruning the changelog for each major release for 7.0.  So what follows
is the full (branched) changelog.  Maybe this will be of some interest to
someone.
7.3.x branch:
* Tue May 27 2003 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> 7.3.3-1PGDG
- Synced up with RawHide.
- 7.3.3
- Eliminate spurious symlink of libpq.so.2.
- Dropped isblank patch; 7.3.3 uses pg_isblank

* Wed Apr 16 2003 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> 7.3.2-4
- Obsolete postgresql-perl and postgresql-tk

* Mon Feb 17 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> 7.3.2-4
- Add ppc64 patch

* Fri Feb 14 2003 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> 7.3.2-3
- Remove pltcl.so from postgresql-tcl and plpython.so from postgresql-server.

* Wed Feb 12 2003 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> 7.3.2-2
- Fix typo in pg_hba.conf tighten patch.

* Wed Feb 5 2003 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> 7.3.2-1
- Initial 7.3.2 build.
- Add bison and flex to BuildRequires line.

* Mon Feb 03 2003 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramfordistat.net>
- 7.3.2-1PGDG

* Wed Jan 22 2003 Tim Powers <timp@redhat.com>
- rebuilt

* Thu Jan 09 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> 7.3.1-5
- Rebuild for newer libssl
- Add patch4 (isblank.patch) to make it all build

* Sat Jan  4 2003 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com> 7.3.1-4
- use internal dep generator.

* Fri Jan 3 2003 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> 7.3.1-3
- Remove spurious PreReq line

* Fri Jan 3 2003 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> 7.3.1-2
- Rebuild with new 7.3.1 tarball
- Remove obsoletes postgresql-perl line (should have been postgresql-plperl) as we did not have that package
previously

* Mon Dec 23 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.3.1-1PGDG
- Fix dependency order for test and pl subpackages.
- Fixed a bug in the initscript for echo_success

* Wed Dec 18 2002 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> 7.3.1-1
- Initial 7.3.1 build.

* Tue Dec 17 2002 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 7.3-6
- Make postgresql-pl obsolete postgresql-perl, not postgresql-plperl

* Fri Dec 13 2002 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com>
- Remove perl(Pg) dependency
- Bash profile PGDATA fix
- Updated initscript to new community version

* Tue Dec 10 2002 Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com>
- Upgrade to 7.3 community spec file.
- Add patch to use with multilib.
- Change explicit path names to use RPM macros (multilib).
- Add security patch.

* Thu Dec 05 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.3-2PGDG
- Fix typo in initscript.  Argh!!

* Wed Dec 04 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.3-0.5PGDG
- Jerk out all perl client stuff and kludgage
- Rename plperl subpackage to a pl subpackage containing all but PL/Pgsql PL's
- Eliminate locale and multibyte explicit enables -- they are both defaults
now
- Eliminate pgaccess code; it's not a part of the main tarball anymore
- Eliminate ODBC stuff -- it's also separate now.  Use unixODBC instead.
- Eliminated separate tk client package -- rolled the tk client into the tcl
client.
- Moved pltcl into the pl subpackage.
- Added plpython to the pl subpackage.
- /etc/sysconfig/pgsql is sysconfdir for multiple postmaster startup.

* Mon Dec 02 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.3-0.1PGDG (not released)
- Integrate 7.3 jar's courtesy Joe Conway
- Integrate multi-postmaster initscript courtesy Karl DeBisschop
- Some renames and restructures.
- Stripped out the last dregs of the postgresql-dump migration script.
- Conflicts with less than 7.3.

7.2.x branch (breaks chronology due to parallel releases)
* Mon Apr 14 2003 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.2.4-2PGDG
- Patch for Red Hat Linux 9 compile.
- Fixed some missing files in devel, python, odbc, tcl, and contrib packages.

* Fri Jan 31 2003 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.2.4-1PGDG

* Wed Oct 02 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.2.3-1PGDG

* Mon Aug 26 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.2.2-1PGDG
- Applied PeterE's contrib patch -- contrib is now completely restructured.
- server conflicts with less than 7.2, as a warning to the upcoming
-- yank of the broken partial upgrade.

* Thu Aug 22 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- 7.2.2 security fix.
- deprecate postgresql-dump system.
- 7.2.2-0.1PGDG PRERELEASE!

* Fri Apr 12 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- Correct tcl conditionals -- especially for the devel package.
- Corrected BuildPrereq conditionals.
- Added a build6x conditional -- define it to build for RHL 6.x
- Integrate a few of Trond's fixes from RawHide.
- Pulled file-lists out of tarball for better maintainability.
- Updated README.rpm-dist.
- 6.x build can't buildprereq pam-devel, as 6.x has no pam-devel.

* Tue Apr 09 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@ramifordistat.net>
- Integrate DP's patch and stuff.

* Fri Apr 05 2002 David B. Peterson <dave@toppledwagon.com>
- hacked for 7.2.1 (made rpm-pgsql-7.2.1.patch from rpm-pgsql-7.2.patch)
- changed gettext version to 0.10.35 (from 0.10.36, for RH62)
- added BuildPrereq for tk

* Wed Apr  3 2002 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com> 7.2.1-3
- make postgresql-server and postgresql depend on postgresql-libs
- store backups of old binaries in /usr/lib/pgsql/backup instead of /usr/share

* Thu Mar 21 2002 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com> 7.2-6
- Move the libpgtcl.so symlink into the tcl subpackage from -devel
- Enable pam support
- Include the odbc plugin, not just the symlink to it

* Tue Feb 04 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.2 final.
- 7.2-1PGDG RPM release.
- Integrate NLS build per Peter E.
- Clean up a few things; undef beta for final build.
- Newer JDBC -- point to correct website and 7.2 dev.
- postgresql.init changes.
- NLS build does funky %defattr things; redhat-style-files.lst changed
-- for execute permission on /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

* Sun Jan 27 2002 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.2rc2-0.1PGDG

* Thu Nov 29 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.2b3-0.3PGDG
- beta conditionals for debugging, assertion checking, and no strip.

* Tue Nov 27 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Improve python version handling

* Fri Nov 23 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.2b3-0.2PGDG
- second beta3 tarball.

* Thu Nov 22 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.2b3-0.1PGDG
- Beta3
- Docs changes --man pages back, internals.ps gone.
- manl (letter 'ell') is now 'man7'.

* Mon Nov 19 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.2b2-0.1PGDG
- --disable-rpath configure option.

* Fri Oct 26 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Actual PGDG 7.2b1.

* Mon Oct 01 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.2alpha-0.1PGDG
- Merged some changes from Peter Eisentraut for7.2.
- Cleaned up some legacy junk.
- Prepare for 7.2 beta cycle.

7.1.x branch (also breaks chronology):
* Thu Jan 02 2003 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- One-off edit for Red Hat 8.

* Fri Aug 17 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.1.3-1PGDG
- Kerberos auth optional.
- Sync with latest Rawhide RPMset.
- Minor README.rpm-dist updates.
- Handle stop with stale pid file.
- Make packages own their directories.

* Tue Jul 18 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Sync with latest Red Hat RPMset.  Enable test package by default for PGDG
releases.
- Minor updates to README.rpm-dist.

* Mon Jul  9 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Make the -devel subpackage depend on -libs, not the main package

* Tue Jun 19 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Make sure the python subpackage depends on mx - otherwise, you'd get an
error when importing

* Mon Jun 18 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@redhat.de>
- add changes for s390x

* Fri Jun 15 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Many path fixes for contrib packages
- Newer intarray
- Don't use nested ifs for tkpkg/pgaccess
- Turn off test package for Red Hat Linux - it makes most sense just to use this during development
- One "pgacess" -> "pgaccess"

* Wed Jun 13 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> <lamar@postgresql.org>
- -4PGDG
- patchset update for pg_regress.sh
- can the dot in the release -- confused too many people and some programs.
- -3.PGDG
- updated README.rpm-dist
- updated patch to 7.1.2, fixing some places where /usr/share/pgsql was still being used where /usr/lib/pgsql was
intended.
- PGLIB now set to /usr/lib/pgsql -- initdb doesn't use it to find the bki's.

* Tue Jun 12 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- sync
- Run chkconfig --add on server install
- Move the prereqs on useradd on chkconfig to the server package
- don't disable the %%clean section

* Sat Jun 09 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Sync up with Trond Eivind's set.

* Thu Jun  7 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Don't create postgres' .bashrc from the server post script: include it
instead
- Move the test packages from /usr/share/pgsql to /usr/lib/pgsql
- Move the symlinks libpq.so, libecpg.so, libpq++.so and libpgeasy.so to the
devel subpackage from libs
- Source the i18n data from the .bashrc instead of in the initscript

* Mon May 28 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Handle i18n for database startup - backend needs to have the same locale
everytime, but this certainly can't be hardcoded to C either
- Fix stop, restart in initscript (#42217)
- Make database init _much_ less verbose
- other minor fixes to the initscript

* Fri May 25 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- 7.1.2

* Thu May 24 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.1.2-0.1.1.PGDG PRERELEASE
- Changed versioning and release numbering a little for better flexibility,
-- particularly for distribution packagers.
- Release numbering comment at top of spec, where it's more useful.
- Trimmed changelog to 7.1.x. See the last 7.0.3's specfile for the 7.0 changlog, and the last 6.5.3's specfile for the
changelogprior to 7.0.

* Sun May 20 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.1.1-4.PGDG
- _really_ got Python version agnosticism working.

* Sat May 19 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.1.1-3.PGDG Release
- Python version agnosticism.....

* Tue May 15 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Use openssl
- Make it obsolete subpackages if they aren't built

* Mon May 14 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.1.1-2.PGDG Release.
- Appended .PGDG to release string to differentiate our RPM set from the
others.
- /bin/sh fix in initscript
- README.rpm-dist updates.

* Mon May 14 2001 Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@redhat.com> 7.1.1-0.7
- Rebuild with new readline

* Thu May 10 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Initial 7.1.1

* Mon May  7 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- Specify shell when running commands through su in the initscript, to avoid
problems when people switch the postgres user to use tcsh

* Thu Apr 19 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- JDBC driver for Postgresql 7.1

* Sun Apr 15 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- slightly different versioning scheming, will go back to the official later when I'm sure the package is ready to use

* Fri Apr 13 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.1 RELEASE
- 7.1-1 RPM RELEASE
- Change to COPTS -- strip out -ffastmath -- Considered Harmful.
- Back to old versioning scheme, kept teg's other fixes.
- README.rpm-dist updated.
- PGVERSION updated all-around (hopefully!)
- Couple of fixes from Peter E.
- Rearrange dependencies -- only the -libs subpackage is required for most
stuff
- Removed broken and confusing logrotate script.

* Mon Apr  9 2001 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- chown considered harmful - removed
- fix dangling symlimks (pg_crc.c)
- libpq.so changes for maximum compatiblity
- different versioning scheme, to avoid trouble later
- remove temporary perl file from the file list
- fix spelling error in tcl description
- mark odbcinst.ini as a config file
- use %%defattr on packages which didn't have it

* Sat Apr 07 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Integrated the PL/Perl stuff from Karl DeBisschop --conditional.
- Packaging reorg: added contrib and docs subpackages.
- Removed sgml source docs from main package --> docs subpackage.
- Removed contrib tree from main package --> contrib subpackage.
- Contrib tree is now prebuilt -- HOWEVER, very little install work is currently done with this.

* Fri Apr 06 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Quickie RC3.  There will be a 7.1RC3-2 shortly with other stuff.

* Tue Apr 03 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- RC2
- eliminate versioning information for ancilliary files in prep for CVS.
- Fix docs mixup.

* Tue Mar 27 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org> <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- RC1 quickie.

* Tue Mar 20 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- Beta 6 initial build.
- Use make install-all-headers instead of cpio hack for devel headers.
- Split out the libs into the libs subpackage.
- Updated initscript to use pg_ctl to stop
- Updated initscript to initdb and start postmaster with LC_ALL=C to prevent index corruption.

* Sun Jan 28 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- Beta4
- Return to 'pgsql' directories instead of 'postgresql'
- Better perl patches.

* Mon Jan 15 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- Edit patches to get rid of some cruft.
- Eliminate some more pre-7.1 specfile baggage that is no longer necessary.
- Moved pg_id to server
- added Makefile.global and pg_config to devel
- Corrected /usr/include/pgsql to /usr/include/postgresql
- Fixed some configure options.  Will be trying the configure macro next
release
- Since it is terminally ill in this version pg_upgrade is _gone_.
- Thanks to Peter E for a good review.

* Sun Jan 14 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- Running regression. 1 on the release-o-meter.
- Minor patches to get regression running right.
- Initscript tweaking -- the old test for a database structure fails with
7.1's new structure.

* Sat Jan 13 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- Perl 5 needs to be built with PREFIX set on the Makefile, not
GNUmakefile....
- The 7.1 build is different from the 7.0 build -- see the configure line.
- NOTE: many files that used to be in /usr/share/postgresql are now in
/usr/share/postgresql!
- by request, conditional packages are now supported. See the top of the spec.
- Fixed the server postinstall problems.

* Mon Jan 08 2001 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- First 7.1 beta test-build

7.0.x branch:
* Wed Nov 15 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- Buggy dependency on /lib/cpp -- not a PreReq, but a BuildPreReq.

* Tue Nov 14 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- made a template for IA64 (symlink to i386)

* Mon Nov 13 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- add patch for IA64 (I got one from Lamar and modified it)

* Mon Nov 13 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- RELEASE: 7.0.3-1
- Minor edits to initscript.
- PRE-RELEASE: 7.0.3-0.6 (final test)
- Final 7.0.3 tarball.
- Cross-dist changes to RedHat initscript for better portability.
- changed README.rpm name to README.rpm-dist (the .rpm extension confused
--some GUI file managers, as RealPlayer also uses that extension).
- Edited README.rpm-dist to reflect cross-distribution packaging.
- NOTE: SuSE cross-compatibility is not yet complete  SuSE RPM's for 7.0.3
--that are tailored for SuSE will be made available.
- Fixed stupid dependency -- the main .so's were in the devel package (Arggh)

* Sat Nov 11 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- PRE-RELEASE: 7.0.3-0.5
- Framework for better distribution-independent build
- Conditional around libtool conf stuff copy (For RedHat 6.1 and such).
- Conditional around RedHat-style initscript stuff.
- Comments at top of spec file now list copyright and license for spec file,
--as the license and copyright for the spec file itself has not previously
--been stated.
- Envvars for postgres home dir login in .bash_profile.
- initscript now checks for success and failure functions using:
--typeset -f|grep "declare -f function_name" construct.

* Fri Nov 10 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- PRE-RELEASE: 7.0.3-0.4
- Directory ownership on /usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress was root.root.
- Patch Makefile.shlib to not use -soname for RPM's.
- Newer prerelease 7.0.3 tarball.

* Thu Nov 09 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- PRE-RELEASE: 7.0.3-0.3
- Don't bother copying the test stuff I'm not packaging.
- Fix group add/del stuff in server subpackage post and postun scriptlets.
- symlink /usr/lib/libpq.so.2.0 -> libpq.so.2.1

* Mon Nov 06 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- PRE-RELEASE: 7.0.3-0.2
- preliminary 7.0.3 distribution tarball -- reinstated man pages, etc.

* Sat Nov 04 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- PRE-RELEASE: 7.0.3-0.1.
- Improved test subpackage -- only package regression.
- Latest pre-7.0.3 snapshot.
- Split out SuSE and Caldera spec files.  Caldera COL eServer 2.3 requires
-- RPM 2.5.5-compatible spec files.  SuSE is just too different from the
others
-- for the spec file to cope, for now.
- TODO: man pages and documentation.

* Mon Oct 30 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- pre-7.0.3

* Mon Oct 30 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar@postgresql.org>
- Reenabled the test subpackage for ftp.postgresql.org dist.
- Backported to RH 6.2 -- involved the Pg man page, doesn't appear to require
-- other stuff to be done.

* Sun Oct 22 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- make /etc/logrotate.d/postgres 0644 instead of 0700 (#19520)

* Thu Oct 19 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- rebuild with new glibc which has semaphore fixes for Alpha

* Tue Sep 05 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- add documention for python interface (#17261)
- move the python interface tutorial to the %%doc section

* Thu Aug 24 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- the old dump script didn't work - added rh-pgdump.sh to handle this. Point docs at it, and tell how it is to be
used.

* Mon Aug 21 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- fix the initscript so it points you at the 7.0.2 directory in /usr/share/doc, not 7.0  (#16163). Also, remove
statementit was built on a 6.2 system.

- prereq /lib/cpp and initscripts
- fix backups of existing files (#16706)
- fix conditional restart

* Sat Aug 19 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- fix README.rpm to it points at /usr/share/doc, not /usr/doc (part of #16416)

* Wed Aug 16 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- don't build test package anymore, it's broken. These tests should be run by pgsql developers and not by
db-developers,so it's not a big loss (#16165). Obsolete it in the main package, so it doesn't get left over

* Mon Aug 14 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- reference docs in /usr/share/doc, not /usr/doc (#16163)
- add python-devel, perl and tcl as build prereqs
- use /dev/null as STDIN for su commands in initscripts, to avoid error messages from not being able to read from tty

* Sat Aug 05 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- condrestart fixes

* Mon Jul 31 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- remove all plperl references, to avoid confusing post install scripts
- cleanups

* Mon Jul 17 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- remove the symlink from libpq.so.2.0 to libpq.so.2.1
- remove some binaries from docs
- fix dangling symlink os.h
- use /sbin/service

* Thu Jul 13 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- don't strip manually
- fixes to init script so they look more like the rest (#13749, from giulioo@pobox.com)
- use /etc/rc.d/init.d again (sigh)

* Wed Jul 12 2000 Prospector <bugzilla@redhat.com>
- automatic rebuild

* Thu Jul 06 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- "Prereq:", not "Requires:" for /etc/init.d

* Thu Jul 06 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- require /etc/init.d

* Wed Jun 21 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- remove perl kludge as perl 5.6 is now fixed
- include the man page for the perl module
- fix the init script and spec file to handle conditional restart
- move the init file to /etc/init.d
- use License instead of Copyright

* Mon Jun 19 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- rebuild

* Tue Jun 13 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- use %%defattr on postgresql-perl
- use %%{_tmppath}
- Don't use release number in patch
- Don't build on ia64 yet

* Mon Jun 12 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0.2-2
- Corrected misreporting of version.
- Corrected for non-root build clean script.

* Mon Jun 05 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0.2
- Postgresql-dump manpage to man1, and to separate source file to facilitate
-- _mandir macro expansion correctness.
- NOTE: The PostScript documentation is no longer being included in the
-- PostgreSQL tarball.  If demand is such, I will pull together a
-- postgresql-ps-docs subpackage or pull in the PostScript docs into the
-- main package.
- RPM patchset has release number, now, to prevent patchfile confusion :-(.

* Sat Jun 03 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Incorporate most of Trond's changes (reenabled the alpha
-- patches, as it was a packaging error on my part).
- Trimmed changelog history to Version 7.0beta1 on. To see the
-- previous changelog, grab the 6.5.3 RPM from RedHat 6.2 and pull the spec.
- Rev to 7.0.1 (which incorporates the syslog patch, which has
-- been removed from rpm-pgsql-7.0.1-1.patch)

* Fri May 26 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- disable the alpha patch, as it doesn't apply cleanly
- removed distribution, packager, vendor
- renamed spec file
- don't build pl-perl
- use %%{_mandir}
- now includes vacuumdb.1*

* Thu May 25 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0-3
- Incorporated Tatsuo's syslog segmentation patches
- Incorporated some of Trond's changes (see below)
-- Fixed some Perl 5.6 oddness in Rawhide
- Incorporated some of Karl's changes (see below)
-- PL/Perl should now work.
- Fixed missing /usr/bin/pg_passwd.

* Mon May 22 2000 Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@infoplease.com>
- 7.0-2.1
- make plperl module (works for linux i386, your guess for other platforms)
- use "make COPT=" because postgreSQL configusre script ignores CFLAGS

* Sat May 20 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0-2
- pg_options default values changed.
- SPI headers (again!) fixed in a permanent manner  -- hopefully!
- Alpha patches!

* Wed May 17 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- changed bug in including man pages

* Tue May 16 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrd <teg@redhat.com>
- changed buildroot, removed packager, vendor, distribution
-- [Left all but buildroot as-is for PostgreSQL.org RPMS. LRO]
- don't strip in package [strip in PostgreSQL.org RPMS]
- fix perl weirdnesses (man page in bad location, remove perllocal.pod from file list)

* Mon May 15 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0 final -1
- Man pages restructured
- Changed README.rpm notices about BETA
- incorporated minor changes from testing
- still no 7.0 final alpha patches -- for -2 or -3, I guess.
- 7.0 JDBC jars!

* Sat May 06 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0RC5-0.5
- UserID of 26 to conform to RedHat Standard, instead of 40.  This only
-- is for new installs -- upgrades will use what was already there.
- Waiting on built jar's of JDBC.  If none are forthcoming by release,
-- I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install the jdk....

* Mon May 01 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0RC2-0.5
- Fixed /usr/src/redhat/BUILD path to $RPM_BUILD_DIR for portability
-- and so that RPM's can be built by non-root.
- Minor update to README.rpm

* Tue Apr 18 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 0.6
- Fixed patchset: wasn't patching pgaccess or -i in postmaster.opts.default
- minor update to README.rpm

* Mon Apr 17 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0RC1-0.5 (release candidate 1.)
- Fixed SPI header directories' permisssions.
- Removed packaging of Alpha patches until Ryan releases RC1-tested set.

* Mon Apr 10 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0beta5-0.1 (released instead of the release candidate)

* Sat Apr 08 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0beta4-0.2 (pre-release-candidate CVS checkout)
- Alpha patches!
- pg_options.sample

* Fri Mar 24 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 7.0beta3-0.1

* Mon Feb 28 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Release 0.3
- Fixed stderr redir problem in init script
- Init script now uses pg_ctl to start postmaster
- Packaged inital pg_options for good logging
- built with timestamped logging.

* Tue Feb 22 2000 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Initial 7.0beta1 build
- Moved PGDATA to /var/lib/pgsql/data
- First stab at logging and logrotate functionality -- test carefully!
- -tcl subpackage split -- tcl client and pltcl lang separated from
-- the Tk stuff.  PgAccess and the tk client are now in the -tk subpackage.
- No patches for Alpha as yet.

6.5.x and prior:
* Thu Dec 23 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 6.5.3-3 and 6.5.3-3nl RPMs.
- --with-mb=SQL_ASCII enabled.

* Wed Dec 22 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- SPI headers in -devel.
- Fixed libpq++.H funniness -- fully corrected in CURRENT.

* Fri Nov 26 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Corrected security problem of /var/lib/pgsql being mode 755.
- /usr/lib/pgsql/backup permissions also a potential hole, though not
-- as serious as the /var/lib/pgsql hole
- Removed PostgreSQL-HOWTO until further notice.  This HOWTO is worse
-- than having no documentation at all in its present form.  When it is
-- corrected for accuracy and conciseness, it will be reinstated.
- Documentation updates in README.rpm
- Corrected some misinformation in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

* Fri Nov 05 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Add ARMV41 support, thanks to Mark Knox <segfault@hardline.org>
- Add patches for ARMV41 -- adds a 'linux_arm' template
- Removed Excludearch for armv41

* Thu Nov 04 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Release 6.5.3-1
- ODBC odbcinst.ini in /usr/lib/pgsql (postgresql-odbc)
- ALPHA patchset unmodified from 6.5.2 -- tested by Ryan Kirkpatrick
- Documentation changes and additions in README.rpm

* Mon Nov 01 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Initial pre-6.5.3 build -- 6.5.3-0.1 -- built from REL6_5_PATCHES CVS
checkout
- pgaccess no longer a separate source file -- 6.5.3 has pgaccess 0.98 fully
-- integrated
- fixed up patches -- pgaccess patch, gram.y patch, and
src/interfaces/Makefile
-- perl5 -> perl patch mainlined.

* Sat Sep 25 1999 Dale Lovelace <dale@redhat.com>
- Fix init script
- fix README.rpm

* Sat Sep 25 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- Red Hat 6.1 release candidate.

* Fri Sep 24 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- apply arithmetic operator patch to gram.y.

* Wed Sep 22 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- merge postgresql-6.5.2-0.2lo changes.
- Note: the postgresql description refers to postgresql-data but that can't be changed until after 6.1 ships.

* Tue Sep 21 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- merge postgresql-6.5.1-0.7lo changes. Thanks Lamar!
- use uid = 40 for user postgres (will affect new installs only).
- postgresql-server needs prereq on /usr/sbin/useradd.

* Mon Sep 20 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 6.5.2-0.2lo
- Upgrade to 6.5.2
- Add some versioning to the init script -- source is postgresql.init.VERSION
- Added some intelligence to init script
- Cleaned up the migration script packaging -- now in a tarball
- Consolidated some patches
- Added the JDK 1.2 JDBC jar to the existing JDK1.1 jar.

* Sat Sep 18 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- 0.7lo
- First stab at integrating modified versions of the Debian migration scripts.
-- Courtesy Oliver Elphick, Debian package maintainer, PostgreSQL Global
-- Development Group.
- /usr/lib/pgsql/backup/pg_dumpall_new -- a modifed pg_dumpall used in the
-- migration -- modified to work with the older executables.
- /usr/bin/postgresql_dump -- the migration script.
- Upgrade strategy:
--      1.)  %pre for main package saves old package's executables
--      2.)  the postgresql init script in -server detects PGDATA existence
--           and version, notifies user if upgrade is necessary
--      3.)  Rather than fully automating upgrade, the tools are provided:
--           a.)  /usr/bin/postgresql_dump
--           b.)  /usr/lib/pgsql/backup/pg_dumpall_new
--           c.)  The executables backed up by %pre in /usr/lib/pgsql/backup
--      4.)  Documentation on RPM differences and upgrades in README.rpm
--      5.)  A fully automatic upgrade can be facilitated by some more code
--           in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql, if desired.
- added documentation for rpm setup, and upgrade (README.rpm)
- added newer man pages from Thomas Lockhart
- Put the PL's in the right place -- /usr/lib/pgsql, not /usr/lib.  My error.
- Added Requires: postgresql = %{version} for all sub packages.
- Need to reorganize sources in next release, as the current number of source
-- files is a little large.

* Tue Sep 07 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- upgraded pgaccess to the latest 0.98 stable version
- fix braindead pgaccess installation and add pgaccess dosucmenattaion to the package containing pgaccess rather than
mainpackage

- add missing templates tp the /usr/lib/pgsql directory
- added back the PostgreSQL howto (I wish people will STOP removing documentation from this package!)
- get rid of the perl handling overkill (what the hell was that needed for?)
- "chkconfig --del" should be done in the server package, not the main package
- make server packeg own only /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql, not the whole /etc/rc.d (doh!)
- don't ship OS2 executable client as documenatation...
- if we have a -tcl subpackage, make sure that other packages don't need tcl anymore by moving tcl-dependent binaries
inthe -tcl package... [pltcl.so]

- if we are using /sbin/chkconfig we don't need the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d symlinks

* Sat Sep  4 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- use _arch not (unknown!) buildarch macro (#4913).

* Fri Aug 20 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- obsolete postgres-clients (not conflicts).

* Thu Aug 19 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- add to Red Hat 6.1.

* Wed Aug 11 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Release 3lo
- Picked up pgaccess README.
- Built patch set for rpm versus tarball idiosyncrasies:
-- munged some paths in the regression tests (_OBJWD_), trigger functions
-- munged USER for regression tests.
-- Added perl and python examples -- required patching the shebang to drop
-- local in /usr/local/bin
- Changed rc.d level from S99 to S75, as there are a few server daemons that
-- might actually need to load AFTER pgsql -- AOLserver is an example.
- config.guess included in server package by default -- used by regress tests.
- Preliminary test subpackage, containing entire src/test tree.
- Prebuild of binaries in the test subpackage.
- Added pgaccess-0.97 beta as /usr/bin/pgaccess97 for testing
- Removed the DATABASE-HOWTO; it was SO old, and the newer release of it
-- is a stock part of the RedHat HOWTOS package.
- Put in the RIGHT postgresql.init ('/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql')
- Noted that the perl client is operational.

* Fri Aug 6 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Release 2lo
- Added alpha patches courtesy Ryan Kirkpatrick and Uncle George
- Renamed lamar owen series of RPMS with release of #lo
- Put Ramifordistat as vendor and URL for lamar owen RPM series, until
non-beta
-- release coordinated with PGDG.

* Mon Jul 19 1999 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
- Correct some file misappropriations:
-- /usr/lib/pgsql was in wrong package
-- createlang, destroylang, and vacuumdb now in main package
-- ipcclean now in server subpackage
-- The static libraries are now in the devel subpackage
-- /usr/lib/plpgsql.so and /usr/lib/pltcl.so now in server
- Cleaned up some historical artifacts for readability -- left references
-  to these artifacts in the changelog

* Sat Jun 19 1999 Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu>
- deprecate clients rpm, and define a server rpm for the backend
- version 6.5
- updated pgaccess to version 0.96
- build ODBC interface library
- split tcl and ODBC packages into separate binary rpms

* Sat Apr 17 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- exclude alpha for Red Hat 6.0.

* Sun Mar 21 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- auto rebuild in the new build environment (release 2)

* Wed Feb 03 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- version 6.4.2
- get rid of the -data package (shipping it was a BAD idea)

* Sat Oct 10 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- strip all binaries
- use defattr in all packages
- updated pgaccess to version 0.90
- /var/lib/pgsql/pg_pwd should not be 666

* Sun Jun 21 1998 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- create /usr/lib/pgsql (like /usr/include/pgsql)
- resurrect libpq++.so*
- fix name problem in startup-script (problem #533)

* Fri Jun 19 1998 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- configure had "--prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr"
- move all include files below /usr/include/pgsql.
- resurrect perl client file lists.

* Tue May 05 1998 Prospector System <bugs@redhat.com>
- translations modified for de, fr, tr

* Tue May 05 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- build on alpha

* Sat May 02 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- enhanced initscript

* Tue Apr 21 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- finally v6.3.2 is here !

* Wed Apr 15 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- added the include files in the devel package

* Wed Apr 01 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- finally managed to get a patch for 6.3.1 to make it install corectly. Boy, what a mess ! ;-(

* Tue Mar 03 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- upgraded tp 6.3 release

* Sat Feb 28 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- upgraded to the latest snapshot
- splitted yet one more subpackage: clients

* Tue Jan 20 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- the installed devel-library is no longer stripped (duh!)
- added the 7 patches found on the ftp.postgresql.org site
- corrected the -rh patch to patch configure.in rather than configure; we now use autoconf
- added a patch to fix the broken psort function
- build TCL and C++ libraries as well
- updated pgaccess to version 0.76

* Thu Oct 23 1997 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- cleaned up the spec file for version 6.2.1
- splited devel subpackage
- added chkconfig support in %preun and %post
- added optional data package

* Mon Oct 13 1997 Elliot Lee <sopwith@cuc.edu> 6.2-3
- Fixed lots of bung-ups in the spec file, made it FSSTND compliant, etc.
- Removed jdbc package, jdk isn't stable yet as far as what goes where.
- Updated to v 6.2.1

* Thu Oct  9 1997 10:58:14 dan
- on pre-installation script now the `data' dir is renamed to `data.rpmorig' (no more wild deletions!).
- added `postgresql-jdbc' sub-package.
- postgresql.sh script: defined function `add_to_path()' and changed the location of postgresql.jar in the CLASSPATH.

* Sat Oct  4 1997 10:27:43 dan
- updated to version 6.2.
- added auto installation's scripts (pre, post, preun, postun)

Many thanks to all who have helped make the RPM's what they are today.  In
particular, kudos to Karl DeBisschop.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio