Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 14 May 2003 4:11 pm, Fernando Flores Prior wrote:
> At this time we are commited to deliver a similar application but with a
> different
> setup. The database server must be internet available. The client side will
> be basicly the same app we have now. It is not very data intensive by any
> means, per session it will use about 50Kb of data at most. Concurrent users
> are not expected to be more than five.  Its a very light application but
> still given the special features that it has to encompass is not feasible
> or cost-wise
> to evolve it into a Web application.
>
> The question is:  what connection protocol would be the best suited for
> this task ?

Since you don't seem to have many users, I'd be tempted to look at
ssh-tunnelling. You can use ssh to redirect your local PGPORT over an
encrypted, authenticated link to the PGPORT on the remote server.
Firewall this port off and have Postgresql only allow access via localhost.

Your ODBC settings on the client point to localhost where they get redirected
to the server. The application never knows or cares what is happening.

Your users just connect to the db server first (using ssh), then use the
application as before.

There are two ssh clients for windows I know of: Putty and (I think) TeraTerm.
Don't know about licencing for these, but both are freely downloadable. On
Linux/BSD there is the openssh project.

One step up from that would be some kind of SSL tunnelling, but SSH is
probably the least-effort solution.

--
  Richard Huxton