Re: database running slow

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: database running slow
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:55:11AM -0700, Shankar K wrote:

> Since our application involves high inserts/deletes,
> we vacuum/analyze major tables thrice a day. Apart
> from this

Be sure you really need the vacuum before you do it.  Remember,
vacuum destroys your buffers, so it's not free.  On certain kinds of
tables, it can be worth it to do a vacuum very often (we have some we
do once an hour).

> 1. how to identify run-away sql backends

Define "run-away".  You can look for long-running transactions; that
might be helpful.

> 2. find out the bad sqls thats causing trouble

Look for queries that take a long time.  EXPLAIN ANALYSE is your
friend.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110