Re: Plans for index names unique to a table?

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Plans for index names unique to a table?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> FWIW, DB2 and (I think) Oracle both use a global namespace for
> indexes.  Sybase and (I think) MSSQL don't. I really don't understand
> why you'd want indexes in a global namespace and wish IBM and Oracle
> would change their products.

There are at least four compelling disadvantages to implementing a
"table" namespace for indices:

a) It is a change from current functionality, and would break things  that work now;

b) It introduces a new namespace, and the need to manage it.

c) It is incompatible with several other databases' treatment of  indices, and probably the SQL standards, too.

d) It introduces the need to change syntax on indices, requiring  something like            DROP INDEX "index_name" ON
TABLE"some_table";  which parallels the handling of RI triggers.

They may not all be individually compelling, but they add up...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lisp.html

Сообщение: Re: Plans for index names unique to a table?
Сообщение: Re: Plans for index names unique to a table?