Re: Plans for index names unique to a table?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Plans for index names unique to a table?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> Indexes, views, tables - all are global namespace thingies and therefore
> required to be globally unique in SQL.  At least SQL's consistent in its
> treatment of names.

Actually, indexes do not exist as a concept at all in the SQL standard.
They're swept under the rug as an implementation detail.  So we're quite
on our own to do what we like.

If I were designing in a green field I'd probably make indexes have
table-local names --- but historically they've not been so in Postgres,
and it does not seem worth the work or compatibility hit to change it.