Re: Multilingual database

От Ian Barwick
Тема Re: Multilingual database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Friday 09 May 2003 03:32, Terence Ng wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to store the title and description of a
> product in different languages.  Should I use unicode
> (UTF-8) to store the different languages in one
> database, or I should initialize different databases
> for the different languages?

Administratively it is far easier to have everything in
one database. PostgreSQL can also convert between
Unicode and many local character sets (including
most CJK ones) on the fly.

However, PostgreSQL currently only enables one locale
per cluster (set of databases), so certain operations
(sorting "alphabetically" in a particular language) may
be tricky.

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net