Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters

От mlaks
Тема Re: Postgresql goes down need to restart (redhat postgresql service script) lock files removal avoid 2 postmasters
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Bruno, Thanks for your help.

i checked - grep in the /etc/rc.d/init.d agrees with what you said - those
/var/lock and /var/run files are commonly placed in all of the services!

Here's my problem:

I had 4 out of 5 machines that got creamed this weekend, and all i needed to
go in for was to erase that file /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid.
the same thing!!! (with only one machine) happened about a month ago.

I notice that in his script Lamar does this

pid=`pidof -s postmaster`
        if [ $pid ]
        then
                echo $"Postmaster already running."
        else
                #all systems go -- remove any stale lock files
                rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.* > /dev/null
then he starts up pg_ctl.

What I would be doing is simply adding in

rm  -f  /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid  line.

It looks like he isnt worried about getting rid of that tmp/.s.PGSQL.* file
 as long as he ran pidof first -
 (is /tmp/.s.PGSQL.  also a kind of lock file? i dont know  -  do you know
what system sets it  up?)

Also - what do you do about those files

/tmp/.s.PGSQL.* ?

and what do you do about the possibility of supervise starting more than one
of the postmasters?

I like the idea of supervise starting me up again even without a reboot! and
 i just want to catch this problem and solve it.

Thanks, mitchell