Re: Impact of loss of unique SERIAL?

От Hacksaw
Тема Re: Impact of loss of unique SERIAL?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>
> I don't actually recall the argument for removing the automatic
> unique index.  But it's easy enough at the time of creation, since
> you could specify a UNIQUE constraint on the column anyway.

Well, I've no idea what the PostgreSQL's particular argument might have been,
but too many indices typically means slower lookups. You want the indices to
be created based on the fields you will most often mention in WHERE statements.

A unique serial number is always useful, but might not be looked at unless the
the final output is a surprising number of records, like two, where one is
expected. No point in indexing it then.

--
Music is a quality, organised in sound and in time.
http://www.hacksaw.org -- http://www.privatecircus.com -- KB1FVD