Re: data-mining

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: data-mining
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Antoine,

> Hello all, I was woundering  if postgresql would be able to handle
> data-mining and data-warehousing concepts.  I have a project for class
> in which I have to get at least two rules of data-mining working.  If
> anyone has done this with postgresql, please point me in the right
> direction.   Would I need additional software or just use the features
> of postgresql?  Also could anyone point me in the right direction so I a
> large data set to use with data-mining?

Given that "data-mining" and "data-warehousing" are just branding names for
"big databases with lots of relational historical information", this should
be no problem on PostgreSQL.  Whether or not you need 3rd-party tools depends
on what kind of data mining you want to do.   Of particular interest should
be Joe Conway's PL/R project, which adds some sophisticated statistical and
graphical capabilities to PostgreSQL.

For your data, someone on the PGSQL-PERFORMANCE list posted a link to the
TigerUSA database derived from the last US Census.   This should provide you
plenty of material.   Search the online list archives for the link, or google
for it.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions