Looking at PostgreSQL as alternative to MS SQL Server 2000

От Ian J.
Тема Looking at PostgreSQL as alternative to MS SQL Server 2000
Дата
Re: Looking at PostgreSQL as alternative to MS SQL Server 2000  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I'm completely new to PostgreSQL, so please excuse my lack of knowledge regarding what is and isn't possible.

I'm looking for alternatives to Microsoft's SQL Server 2000 for implementation on my various clients' systems, which in the main are Windows boxes (NT and 2000, Workstations and/or Servers).

I've looked up various SQL databases, both commercial and 'free'. I have concluded that the commercial ones are too expensive (for my clients, that is. They don't like the idea of several thousand pounds up front, together with a couple of hundred to allow each client machine to connect. This means I'm losing potential business). Of the various 'free' ones, it seems only PostgreSQL has the power and functionality to handle the kind of requests that might end up being thrown at it (MySQL seems to me to be not much more than a backend data store at the moment, meaning too much validation, etc, would have to be done on the client end. I'm willing to be proven wrong about my assumption regarding it though. Similar issues surround other server SQL DBs too, as far as I can tell).

So, from what I gather of the PostgreSQL info on the site, it seems there is currently no installable Windows version of the program. Is this correct? Also, there seem to be two Windows alternatives available: A Cygwin version, and a C++ version (for version 7.3.2).

I don't like the idea of a Cygwin version, as it seems that the program is slower because Cygwin is acting as a Unix emulator on Windows. This will hog valuable resources (most machines it might go on will not be brand new high end servers!) There is also the issue that I am not at all familiar with Unix, so setting it up would be impossible using a Unix interface.

I am therefore looking at the C++ binaries, I think. Once compiled using Visual C++ (which version, 6.0 or .Net?), what am I left with? I know I will have to develop the front end myself, but what or how is the PostgreSQL implmented on the Windows 'server' box?

I presume the standard C++ data connection methods are used to communicate to the server. I gather that ASP is not available to communicate from a web point of view, so php would be the alternative?

Any help, particularly pointers to clear and helpful guides on using PostgreSQL in the above C++ manner, would be much appreciated.

If it isn't 'the done thing' to use PostgreSQL in the way I'm planning (effectively to provide it to clients, though obviously I wouldn't (and don't believe the Open License allows me) to charge them for it), then please let me know. I'm not out to offend either the Open Source or closed source communities - I'm just trying to make things cheaper, and perhaps better, for my clients.

Regards,

Ian J.